Breath in the scent of chocolate, taste a hint of honey and breath out sheer joy. Being indulgent never felt so good…try these healthy treats!
Eating well is a form of self-care. Yet it’s not always easy to meet your sweet cravings and still eat wholesome.
Want something a bit sweet then read on for a few of our favorite healthier recipes!
Why Try These Recipes?
To eat wholesome desserts seems like an oxymoron. But really it’s a license for creative baking. A chance to try new flavors and open up your palate to a different type of sweet taste.
We have reaped the delicious benefits from these beloved recipes and we now share them with you!
Be Creative & Make These Recipes Your Own!
Please remember you can always alter any of the recipes we recommend to suit your dietary needs and preferences.
We are under the impression that all of these recipes are Gluten- Free and use no butter or processed sugar.
To make these recipes Vegan, modify the sweetener from honey to a vegan alternative of your choice like maple syrup or agave. Use only dark chocolate (55- 85% percent cacao) and make sure it’s void of ingredients that are derived from milk, such as whey, casein, milk, milk fat, and milk solids.
Coconut butter makes for a great topping over apples, bananas, oatmeal, or as a non-dairy creamer for coffee or tea. Honestly, it’s a versatile condiment enhancing the taste of a lot of food so feel free to experiment.
Remember coconut butter is not the same as coconut oil!
Rather than spend the 10+ dollars coconut butter usually costs at many grocery stores, try making your own for around $3.99 (price of a standard bag of unsweetened shredded coconut).
Minimalist Baker’s Coconut Butter Recipe here
- This recipe works best with a high-powered food processor rather than a blender.
- With a lower-powered food processor, you may need to use a spoon to push the coconut down towards the blade more often (plus it may take more like 20 minutes rather than 8 minutes).
- Due to the size of your food processor you may need to make this recipe in batches.
- Mix in any additional add-ins you want. The Minimalist Baker suggests a bit of sea salt or vanilla extract.
- Store at room temperature and enjoy! It will solidify if kept in a cool environment.
CHOCOLATE COCONUT BUTTER CUPS
Want to elevate the typical peanut butter cup to new heights?
Have more coconut butter than you know what to do with especially after making the recipe above?
Then try this recipe, which only calls for 5 ingredients (or 2 if you decide to not make your own chocolate).
Minimalist Baker’s Dark Chocolate Coconut Butter Cups Recipe here
Tip: If you don’t make your own chocolate, use 1 1/2 cups of finely chopped dark chocolate.
OATMEAL BANANA COOKIES
If you are looking for a dairy free, gluten free, nut free, vegan treat AND are a fan of bananas and oatmeal, this may be the recipe for you!
Ambitious Kitchen’s 2- Ingredient Banana Oatmeal Cookies Recipe here
- Mix the bananas and oats with your hands or a spoon.
- If you want a smoother consistency, you can put the oats into a blender or food processor before combining them with the mashed bananas.
- Feel free to add in additional mix-ins such as dried cranberries, chocolate chips, coconut flakes, etc. Get creative!
NO BAKE ENERGY BITES
Sometimes using an oven is not an option. Maybe you don’t have time to wait for something to bake or it’s too hot outside to even fathom turning on the oven. Either way, we have you covered with these delicious no bake energy bites.
Gimme Some Oven’s No Bake Energy Bites Recipe here
- Exchange the peanut butter for another type of nut butter (almond butter, cashew butter, or sunflower seed butter, etc)
- Use Vegan Chocolate Chips or leave the chocolate out of these bites
- Agave replaces honey nicely in this recipe
For further recipe exploration check out the food blogs that provided the above recipes:
Minimalist Baker’s food blog with 30 minute or less plant-based recipes that use 1 bowl and 10 ingredients or less
Ambitious Kitchen is healthy living blog with creative recipes that sometimes use unique ingredients
Gimme Some Oven is lovely food blog with a collection of creative and easy recipes that are perfect for sharing with others
Eat indulgently healthy and be creative in the kitchen!