Who doesn’t love a toasty fall soup? This simple vegan butternut squash soup is elevated by carrots and roasted garlic. Warm-up while boosting your immune system with an added serving of health thanks to turmeric and fresh ginger root! Plus, these two spices have anti-inflammatory properties.
toasty squash soup
- 5 carrots
- ½ acorn squash
- ½ butternut squash
- 5 cloves roasted garlic
- 32 oz low sodium vegetable stock
- 2 inches of ginger root
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Start by preparing the roasted garlic and squashes.
- Set the oven to 350 F.
- Take a bulb of garlic, peel off a couple layers, but not too many. You want the garlic bulb to remain intact. Cut off the top of the bulb. Cover the bulb with aluminium foil, leaving a hole at the top. Pour 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil over the bulb. Twist the aluminium foil closed and place the bulb wrapped in aluminum foil on a baking tray.
- Take each squash and use a fork to pierce the skin. Coat both squashes in the olive oil and place on a baking tray.
- Roast the garlic for 30 minutes. (If you want some extra roasted garlic for hummus or another dish, prepare some additional bulbs of garlic.)
- At the same time roast the squash for 15 minutes. Turn the squash and roast for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the squash and set aside to cool.
- Remove the garlic cloves. They will be ready when they are soft. Peel 5 cloves for the recipe.
- After the squash has cooled for a bit, cut the squash in half and remove the pulp. Cut the squash into cubes. You should be able to use a potato peeler or a knife to remove the skin from the squash.
- Wash and scrub the carrots and cut into cubes.
- Finely dice 1 shallot, the 5 cloves of roasted garlic and ginger root.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a small saucepan. Bring to a medium heat
- Start by sauteing the shallots for 2 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the ginger and saute for 1 minute. Finally, add the garlic and saute for another minute. Stir throughout to ensure all ingredients do not burn.
- Transfer the ingredients into a soup pot and add the vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer.